The Red Pyramid

20 Sep

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan is a GREAT book…for lighting grills with!

Yup.  You heard me.  For lighting grills.

Do you really think I read it?

I mean it’s another 528 pages by Rick Riordan, who I pretty much decided was the worst author on earth after reading The Lightning Thief. Why on EARTH would I actually read that thing.

But all summer long, I kept my copy next to the charcoal grill.  When I was ready to throw a few shrimps on the barbie, I’d rip out about a dozen pages and use them to start the fire!

Kept us eating grilled shrimp all summer long.

Nice.

Red Pyramid Rating:  Way5

Advertisements

37 Responses to “The Red Pyramid”

  1. ryan September 27, 2010 at 4:27 pm #

    I must disagree with you that the red pyranid is bad! I disagree with you because i am reading it now and it is tottaly different from the lightning theif! It does talk about gods and all of that but it is egytian gods that are much different from the greek gods. I would advise reading the red pyramid because if you read it you would agree with me!

    your coolest student,[you know im right] -ryan

  2. wferriter September 27, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

    Okay, so here’s the thing, Ryan: After the nightmare of The Lightning Thief, I’m going to need some serious convincing to read a Rick Riordan book again.

    So your challenge is this: In no more than 25 words, write me a summary of The Red Pyramid.

    If your 25 word summary captures my attention, maybe I’ll make it the next book on my reading list.

    Mr. F

    • Emma A. September 27, 2010 at 7:02 pm #

      Summary- (I refuse to write it in 25 words)

      Carson and Sadie are twins separated by their Mother’s mysterious death. When they meet, their father, an Egyptian historian/archeologist, takes a mysterious museum journey where he gets captured by the evil Egyptian god Set. Retrieving him requires to learn about their families mysterious, magical past, to figure out the cause of their dreadful Mother’s death, and to learn about who they are and their future.

      • wferriter September 27, 2010 at 10:01 pm #

        GREAT Summary, Emma!

        I’m going to have to give you an F for not following directions, though.

        ; )

        Seriously, you ALMOST got me interested enough to read the ten pages I haven’t burned yet.

        Mr. F

    • Zoe September 27, 2010 at 9:13 pm #

      Well i think you should give it a chance because it was Rick Riordans first shot at the topic. Therefor he could have learned from his former upsets. The Red Pyramid can get better but compared to the lighting thief it is an OK book.

  3. Audrey September 27, 2010 at 7:12 pm #

    After reading the Red Pyramid i agree! The book was way too long and their was just a very simple plot! But the author Rick Riordan decides to place about 10 or 15 subplots ahead of the climax making the book confusing and quite boring. I think the book will pull many readers in because of the plot but little do they know it will take about 500 pages to reach the climax. Another confusing part about the Red Pyramid was that many people passed away in the book but, came back to life! I wasnt sure that they were dead or alive… The main thing im trying to get across is that most of this book is boring, confusing, useless detail! If anybody does decide to read this book, they will soon realize it is a waste of time!

    • Emma A. September 27, 2010 at 8:50 pm #

      I agree with Audrey! You can’t have a book with many different, small, useless climax’s. I think this is just the way Rick Riordan writes, all of his books including the Lightning Thief make you wait the whole book into you get to the main climax. It is basically like there is no falling action or resolution in the story because the climax comes so late in the book. Plus, many of his books are predictable, for example; in The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends walk into a mysterious mattress store, and you can completely tell there is something wrong with the worker and his generosity. Also, when they walk into Aunty Em’s Garden you know something bad is going to happen. Rick Riordan needs to stop writing useless books with good ideas, and start having the whole book be good.

      P.S. I give it up to you Mr. Ferriter, you are always right!

    • wferriter September 27, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

      Hey Audrey…

      This is a really good explanation! Thanks for being so specific about what you didn’t like in The Red Pyramid…

      Good stuff,
      Mr. F

      • alex27502 September 29, 2010 at 7:31 pm #

        Wferriter I must agree with you on this one. in language arts I literaly almost fell asleep while reading it. It started out with a boring intro of characters, a slow middle, and a dissapointing end. I was very dissapointed in Rick Riordan for this book. I will read the series though. I give it a way-100.

    • skye September 28, 2010 at 7:26 pm #

      Audrey wrote:

      Another confusing part about the Red Pyramid was that many people passed away in the book but, came back to life! I wasnt sure that they were dead or alive… The main thing im trying to get across is that most of this book is boring, confusing, useless detail!

      I agree with Audrey. I didn’t even finish the book because I felt like it already should be done. It was way to boring there’s only one big fight in the WHOLE book and the only person who died was their father (well at least I think he did because i never read to the end; who know maybe a magic fairy came up, went poof, and he came back to life.

      The book was way to unbelievable. I mean their cat just happens to be the goddess Bass and the alligator god just happens to be in the river. Also that the god Thoth would send them on a mission and they end up destroying Elvis’s house!

      As Audrey said the book is boring and confusing at times so don’t waste your time reading it. Instead read the ‘Cry of Icemark’. It’s a daring story fill with kingdoms, adventure, giant snow lepords, and battles. 14 year old, Warrior princess, Thirrian Strong-in-Arm-Linshield’s father, the king, is killed in battle and she is forced become queen to defend her small contry from the dreaded Poyltian Empire and their evil general Spicipo Bellrom who is on his way to attack. Although is is long it is never boring and full to the brim with action and excitment. I’d rate it a way82!

      • wferriter September 29, 2010 at 11:11 am #

        Skye,

        This is a remarkable comment! Thanks for being so thoughtful in explaining why The Red Pyramid is so bad as a book!

        Mr. F

  4. Brent September 27, 2010 at 9:07 pm #

    The Red pyramid was the longest book with a terrible ending. Rick Riordan makes all his books about the same a good beginning a long middle where they are usually in a car. A good ending but it takes so long to get there that you get let down. In the Red Pyramid it built up for this big thing and ended one of the worst endings. This one book took me forever to read. It had a very bad idea that was stretched out to far, unless you study Egypt how are you supposed to know all the Egyptian. The story also had baboon wearing a lakers jersey. Thats not even close to being real. The story changed point of views a lot which was confusing.Fans of the lightening thief made this book sound like it was going to be so good so I bought it. It was like twenty dollars, he might turn this book into a series which would probably a very high selling series. Fans of the lightening thief might have been brain washed a brain wash that is contagious.I will give him credit he does his research basing his stories of real ancient gods. The evil character in the red pyramid is set the Egyptian god of desert, storm, darkness, chaos. In the story They have Set being so bad when the real god of destruction is sekhment who they barely mention. The stories mention all of the major Egyptian gods but for some they use a shorter version of the name. form it was a let down

    Way:10

  5. Michael G. September 27, 2010 at 9:21 pm #

    How do you know its bad all you did with it is light your grill with the book. I agree that it is kind of confusing but once you get into it its a really good book. They travel all over the place and he meets his sister once a year and go to this museum and the dad gets taken and they go to all sorts of places and adventures to get there dad back. But its a good thing you didn’t read it because its not as good as the lightning thief. -Michael

    • wferriter September 27, 2010 at 10:02 pm #

      Michael wrote:
      How do you know its bad all you did with it is light your grill with the book. I agree that it is kind of confusing but once you get into it its a really good book.

      Alright, kid…Prove it to me:

      In three sentences, explain the most exciting thing that happens in the book.

      MAYBE you can convince me to read this thing!
      Mr. F

  6. Brent September 27, 2010 at 9:23 pm #

    Now for my summary

    this is exactly 25 words

    Sadie and Carter are twins who don’t live in the same house. They go on a journey to save father who is trapped by Set

  7. Michael G. September 27, 2010 at 9:50 pm #

    How do you know its bad all you did is use it for your grill. First of all its very mysterious. Its kind of confusing at first but its a good book once you get into it. There dad gets trapped by a god set and the 2 kids go try to find there parents. Its not as GOOD as the lightning theif but its pretty good. And theres barely anything about a red pyramid which I think would mean its needs a different title.

  8. Brooke September 27, 2010 at 10:28 pm #

    Mr F, if we summarize the book in three sentences, does it matter how many words? If not I have one:

    Sadie and Carter and brother and sister who are trying to rescue their dad from an evil Egyptian god. At first they don’t even know that they have powers that are usable, but they finally find that out thanks to their uncle. Their cat, Muffin, helps them rescue their dad by getting them away from the Carriers and warding off other evil gods.

    I am not completely done, but that is the summary for what I have read so far. Hopefully this will help convince you to read the Red Pyramid and help redeem Rick Riordan’s reputation.

    Mr F’s rating scale: way20

  9. Kenny H September 27, 2010 at 10:51 pm #

    I haven’t really read the Red Pyramid yet, but i look forward to it. To see how BAD it is. first of, i hear there’s this god named Set, what kind of name is that. Set that on the table, set that on the chair. NO NO NO. Horrible name for a god. Also, the red pyramid is a bad name for a book. You could just call it the purple pyramid. Finally, i must warn MR. Ferriter. Rick Riodan is creating a series what is a sequel to the Percy JAckson series called, well, i don’t know the name of the series, but the first book is going to be called the Lost Hero. I look forward to reading that too to see how bad it is.

  10. Michael C September 28, 2010 at 1:03 am #

    Look. Here are three sentences about the most exciting thing in the book.

    Sadie and Carter have just arrived at the Red Pyramid and they fight Set for a while using magic and avatar forms then Sadie realizes that they shouldn’t be fighting Set in his source of power (the desert) so she transports them to Washington D.C. Carter manages to distract Set by fighting him while Sadie casts the spell from The Book of Overcoming Set. While she is casting the spell she sees Apophis in the sky and throws the feather of truth into the sky to reveal Apophis to the others.

    • wferriter September 28, 2010 at 11:12 am #

      Michael C. wrote:

      Sadie and Carter have just arrived at the Red Pyramid and they fight Set for a while using magic and avatar forms then Sadie realizes that they shouldn’t be fighting Set in his source of power (the desert) so she transports them to Washington D.C.

      Here’s the thing, Michael: You’ve just spotlighted everything that I HATE about Rick Riordan books. They’re just TOO unbelievable.

      I mean how can I really embrace a book where a kid transports an ancient Egyptian god out of yesterday and into modern day Washington DC? And how can I really buy the fact that an ancient god is somehow magically released from the Rosetta Stone into our world today?

      I get that there are always going to be some stretches in fiction. That’s fiction, right?

      But there also needs to be SOME believability, too. And when a book drifts into complete weirdness, I give up on it quick.

      Thanks for warning me in advance. Now I don’t need to feel so bad about burning the last ten pages of my copy.

      Steaks tonight!
      Mr. F

    • Kenny H September 28, 2010 at 8:47 pm #

      Michael said-Sadie and Carter have just arrived at the Red Pyramid and they fight Set for a while using magic and avatar forms then Sadie realizes that they shouldn’t be fighting Set in his source of power (the desert) so she transports them to Washington D.C. Carter manages to distract Set by fighting him while Sadie casts the spell from The Book of Overcoming Set.

      OK, what are Sadie and Carter’s powers, where and what is the red pyramid, and what’s the book of overcoming set?

  11. Peace out Zozo September 28, 2010 at 1:06 am #

    I agree with you. Yes, you heard me. I AGREE with you. Well for all you people out there who think I`m stupid, here is why I agree with Mr. Ferriter (the person who should be our supreme ruler). For one, have any of you ever tasted shrimp! It is the best food on the planet! I would happily give up one of my books for shrimp every night all summer long! If the book was that bad. I mean, I love books. but if it was really really bad……Hmmm shrimp, or a book that really stinks…..SHRIMP!!! I haven’t read the book but I love shrimp so, what the hay. BTW Mr. Ferriter, my computer thinks your name is spelled wrong. It is TOTALY not spelled wrong!

    P.S. My dad wants to know if you have read “Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury.

    • Michael C September 28, 2010 at 7:34 pm #

      Zozo you are just like Mr.Ferriter. You judged the book BEFORE you read it!!

      Zozo wrote:
      For one, have any of you ever tasted shrimp! It is the best food on the planet! I would happily give up one of my books for shrimp every night all summer long!

      What does shrimp have to do with how awesome The Red Pyramid is? If you READ the book and still agree with Mr.Ferriter then so be it. Just expect some arguing…

      • wferriter September 29, 2010 at 11:13 am #

        Michael wrote:
        Zozo you are just like Mr.Ferriter. You judged the book BEFORE you read it!!

        Alright Michael….I’ll give you credit: This is a good point. Maybe I SHOULD read it before judging it.

        But I can’t bring myself to doing it.

        So I issue you a challenge. I dare you to write a review of The Red Pyramid for I’m Always Right. Whip a little something together to convince us that it’s worth reading and I’ll post it here on the blog.

        Are you gutsy enough to rise to the challenge?

        Mr. F

  12. kate b September 28, 2010 at 8:15 pm #

    dear mr.f,
    I agree with your opinion on “The Red Pyramid”. I’ve read the horrible book by Rick Riordan called “The Lightning Theif” and i will never read another book from that author.
    I’ve read a few summaries in some comments on “The Red Pyramid” and i am still not convinced to read it.

    You might be able to light your fire for the whole winter if Rick Riordan creates another book and gives it a “terrific” name like “The Pink Temple”!

    I agree with you mr.f, you are always right!
    -kate b

  13. Michael G. September 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm #

    To your comment you left about my post I honestly cant name three sentences of the most exicting part of the book. Maybe because I read a long time ago in 5th grade.

  14. Michael C September 29, 2010 at 7:00 pm #

    Mr. Ferriter wrote:

    I dare you to write a review of The Red Pyramid for I’m Always Right.

    Well guess what. I WILL. You heard me. I WILL. You want to know why? Because Mr.Ferriter called me a CHICKEN!! A CHICKEN!!! I will write a review and it will be AWESOME. It may take me a while because I want to read it again to remember all the details but I will do it.

    By the way Mr.Ferriter I have a book suggestion. I dare you to read “Fablehaven” by Brandon Mull and write a review of it. Are you up to it?

    -Michael C

  15. Autobot September 29, 2010 at 7:14 pm #

    Mr. Ferriter, i think what you said you did is a SIN! i have read the book in question and i think Rick Riordan is one of, if not the best, authors on the planet. i have also read the entire percy jackson series and think it is the funniest series in the world.

    p.s. i’m peace out zozos brother and a former student of Mr. Hutchinson and in 8th grade right now

    p.p.s. i severely disagree w/ my sister

    p.p.p.s. long live the Autobots!

  16. alex ram October 4, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

    i have only read the first few chapters, but c’mon, at least read the book before commenting on it.

  17. Matthew W. September 12, 2011 at 7:37 pm #

    I only started to read the first chapter and that was boring. So now I don’t need to wast my time trying to finish a book that is absolutely terrible. Thanks for the advice, Matthew W.

    • Kenna K September 19, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

      WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      The beggining is only introduces you to a whole, huge, wonderful, plot of adventure! This is like Harry Potter. I too grew bored of Harry Potter at the first chapter, but I read on because I had heard wonderful things about this series.

      So I pushed on and discovered what changed my life, in a good way.

      • wferriter September 20, 2011 at 10:59 am #

        Oh Kenna.

        Here we go again with the “It’s okay for a book to stink. Keep reading anyway because maybe—just maybe—it’ll get better” argument.

        I think that’s something that really drives me nuts about kid readers. You’re much more tolerant.

        For me, if a book isn’t good, I’m not going to keep reading the series no matter what. Authors can’t just expect that we’ll read junk hoping for it to get better. They owe us good writing from the beginning.

        Any of this make sense?
        Mr. F

  18. Kenna K September 19, 2011 at 11:16 pm #

    I absolutly disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the red pyramid and find the sequel to it just as thrilling. I think that the book has mystery, adventure, and action.

    I also think that from reading Rick Riordan’s books that he is one of my favorite authors. Even when I first read his first book the lightning thief I knew he had potential as a writer.

    I think this book is not for grilling on hot summer nights but for reading while cooking shrimp because you can’t PUT THE BOOK DOWN!!!!!!

    • Kenna K September 20, 2011 at 6:47 pm #

      Mr. Ferriter said:

      Keep reading anyway because maybe—just maybe—it’ll get better”

      I did say that but also to add on to that I think that the beggining of the book is stilll good with the suspense.

      Mr. Ferriter, I’ll never give up on convincing you about Rick Riordan.

      I know i’m stubborn but I also think that if you read into it a little more than you find alot more books to read.

      I think you’d really enjoy fantasy if you gave it a chance.

  19. Kush C September 20, 2011 at 8:36 pm #

    Kenna said
    The beggining is only introduces you to a whole, huge, wonderful, plot of adventure! This is like Harry Potter. I too grew bored of Harry Potter at the first chapter, but I read on because I had heard wonderful things about this series.

    I totally agree with you Kenna because I don’t know if you knew that I had made book review about The Roar. The thing is that when I was reading the book I actually stoped at the begining because it was so boring, and I didn’t even pick up that book until 2 weeks later! Now I am close to the end and i am already calling it the greatest book i have ever read in my life! So even if you stop reading a book at least try to pick up that book again and keep reading it. If it is like a book such as Lightning Theif where it is terible in the middle of the book then you should have the right to stop reading the book.

    • Kenna K September 21, 2011 at 7:07 pm #

      Kush, nice avatar by the way!

      Rock on! I’m trying to convince Mr.Ferriter that!

      Try making fewer paragraphs when writing a response.

      Have you read these books? Red pyramid, lightning thief, harry potter? Those are just like you described the roar!

  20. Matthew W. September 27, 2011 at 7:01 pm #

    I know I just said I did not need to read it but maybe I was wrong. I might put this book after The Unwanteds, Escape, The Great and Only Barnum, Maze Runner, Ender’s Game, Leviathan, Catching Fire, Mockingjay, Behemoth, Goliath. But next time I don’t have a book to read (probably not soon) I read this one. (sorry for the spelling of the books if I messed up)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: